Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Sydney Adventure Explained

I want to tell you about my trip to Sydney but first: if you want to try something that will annoy the cr@p out of you check out this annoying website. I don't know how the gopher knows... but he knows. I have tried the stupid thing about 15 times and every time he gets it right. Actually I just did 2 at once and I think I know the trick. How frustrating!

So in other news... I spent 2 days in Sydney in order to have a look around and see if I could live there. I am a big fan of the beach culture and some of the suburbs I am interested in are very pretty. I am a little torn because Melbourne has a brilliant social/cafe/food culture which I absolutely adore but Sydney has a beach/city/hectic feel and I could absolutely see myself there. Melbourne style is interesting and European while Sydney style seems to be more sleek. I counted 35 ladies wearing pencil skirts and super high heels while I had a 10 minuet coffee in a cafe fronting onto the street (which by the way is a bit difficult to find in Sydney while there are literally hundreds of them in Melbourne). I think my style is... well, frumpy actually. Here in Melbourne this is read as being eclectic or alternative... in Sydney I am pretty sure they will see right through it and there will be a big neon sign over my head saying "Tight-Ass". I like spending my money on doing things, not clothes or make-up. There are many aspects to my personality but I am very 2 dimensional when it comes to the way I look. Meanwhile, peroxide and I are getting along quite well for now although I am sure that when my hair starts to fall out I will have a different opinion on our relationship.

So the biggest factor I think will be cost. From what I can tell, property in Sydney is a whole lot more expensive and I am not even talking about a comparison with what I have now, I mean that, even if I am willing to take a substantial lifestyle cut (which I am not 100% sure I am ok with), I will still end up paying 20 - 30% more for a dodgy rental. Gutted.

There were 2 giant ships which were docked in the harbour on Tuesday. So fantastically massive to the point that it looks as though their very existance is in defiance of the laws of physics. I mean... how do they stay boyant? (I know... its all about being less dense than the water, I did pass Science at school). They were so impressive and there was a parade of people who had come to the city to see them. I spent the day cruising around on public transport and on one bus I overheard a lady saying "Isn't it sad that it is raining for all those people on the ships. It would be nice for them to see Sydney at it's best". To be honest, up until that point I didn't even notice the weather and I did not realise that it had been raining. How is that for Melbourne conditioning? I spent no more than 2 hours in one location all day. Manley - Dee Why - City - Bondi - Coogee (my favorite!) - City - Domestic Airport - Melbourne Airport - Home to feed the cats - finally Kew for dinner with a friend (because there was no food in the house) and crashed there because I could not bear to travel one more metre! Very big day! The trains were kind of cool in Sydney. They were double decker ones so you can pick if you want to sit on the top or bottom. I picked the top so in the brief moments when it wasn't in a tunnel I could see everything. Interestingly the creaking of the train sounded like children screaming... is it a sign? I don't know why I bother thinking like that, I ignore signs all the time and everything seems to have worked out so far.

I spent most time in the airport though because my plane was delayed. I spent the boring wait time just looking at people. There was a sweet looking older man sitting next to me in a business suit wearing a pink bow tie. Seriously the most neglected of all ties but so unbelievable awesome! A guy standing next to me was complaining on the phone. I wrote down what he said because at the time it was the most interesting thing I had heard for the entire hour I had been waiting for the plane:

"They left us standing in the sun because there was no one at the airport and the only reason that I didn't miss this flight is because it was delayed. That means my journey will be longer so make sure there is some tonic in the fridge otherwise it will mean instant divorce."


Tonic? Must be for gin right? Up until the word divorce I seriously thought he was talking to me... hands free mobile phone things are so stupid.

This guy looked so uncomfortable I had to take a photo. It's not a good photo because I was pretending to read a message while I took it... incognito photograph:



So that was my exciting trip to Sydney. It was fun actually but a lot of hard work (John Travolta announced the saftey message both ways so I guess I flew on an A380? Since when is he known for safety? I do understand that he is a pilot but I just don't think I realised that he was an ambassador for air-safety).

The clip below is completely unrelated but it is a viral clip that my friends and I at the moment are a bit obsessed with (Warning - the first couple of seconds are relatively PC but I feel it's necessary to let you know that it degrades from there and becomes really... rude, disgusting and weird):



xox Love to all
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me