Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Exercise in Cynicism

My housemate and I have been talking about cynicism, specifically relationship cynicism. Her mother told her that she is far too young to be this cynical. It's not that she is a bra burner or man hater, just that the sheer dumbassery of the men in her life have forever altered, perhaps even tainted the way that she looks at the world. I think it comes down to the fact that boys do not want the same things that we want. And how could they? We are told that we need to be feminine and maternal while men are told that they need to be silverfoxes like George Clooney or "players" like Barney from "How I Met Your Mother" (who by the way likes boys in real life which just goes to show how rediculous it is aspiring to be this way). Someone told me once that humans are not monogomous by nature. I seriously disagree... women (not all obviously but most) are monogomous. It is men who can't bear to settle down with one person for all of time. What if there is something better just waiting around the corner?

You want to believe that there is someone out there who will sweep you off your feet in some dream fairytale. Damn you Disney for giving me an unrealistic expectation of love. I am not giving men enough credit I know, Dad if you are reading this I am not talking about you because you are amazing and Mum likes you a lot (thumbs up!). Sprout I love you, you are the best little brother a girl could ask for but you are exactly what I am talking about.

Enough complaining (I have had some whingy posts lately!). Melbourne has been absolutely stunning for the last couple of days. Work has been good - demanding as usual but still good. Oh and I signed up for adult education after work on a Tuesday... I am going to learn how to sing. I would love to say that I have been roped into it but that is not the case. My housemate wants to do it and I think it will be fun. We have decided that if we want to go on holidays next year we have to make sure we only spend money on things that will get us there or help us on our trip. For example:
Food - keeps us alive until we want to go
Singing lessons - so when we run out of money in London (or wherever we can busk for extra cash)
Wine - practice... enough said

I am missing my first lesson because I have to speak to someone in London for work and the earliest they are available is the exact time that I am supposed to be in class. Next week there is no class because of Melbourne Cup (I wonder how I can make going to the Melbourne Cup work into my plans?) so I won't get to go now until the week after. Lots of time to get the vocal chords up to scratch.

xox Love to all
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me