Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Autumn Colours

I saw a brown pigeon today. I know impossible right? No not impossible in fact someone else has seen one and put a photo on the Internet (Thank you Google Images).
 
I have been watching the trees here in Melbourne since we got here with great interest. First they were completely naked (due to winter obviously) and then it looks like there is a bright green moss growing on the branches as the new leaves are beginning to grow. All through summer the leaves have been bright green and line the streets like a giant arch. I have been watching said leaves for a week or so now and decided that I could see them changing colour. We just had the hottest week Melbourne has experienced in something like 100 years (I have no fact to back that up, it is complete hear-say so take it for what it is *smiles*) and now the leaves are starting to fall! This is the signal for Autumn am I right? So this is where the pigeon becomes relevant.... I almost stepped on it this morning because I was too busy looking at the leaves thinking they were leaves until it sort of flapped. So cool! Autumn is coming and even the pigeons are changing colour to match the leaf litter. 

Darian and I were supposed to go for a jog together last night. The two of us have been battling the procrastinator (not to be confused with the terminator but equally as detrimental). So instead we walked to the store and bought ice cream before heading to the park because I wanted to play in the leaves. The grass was littered with leaves of all different colours. We lay on our backs and stared at the canopy. Every time there was a gust of wind the leaves would be thrown up in the air only to rain back down again like confetti. The whole idea of seasons is still very exciting for me! As I have said before, I am from Queensland. Not a disease despite what people around here seem to think (between being a Queenslander and a vegetarian I don't know why I have friends!). Being from Queensland though I am only really familiar with two seasons
Season 1. Hot and wet (ie. Summer) - I need to point out that wet only applies in areas not drought stricken 
Season 2. Hot and dry with coldish mornings (ie. Winter)
Here in Melbourne they have so many more seasons! I arrived at the end of winter and got to see the beginning of spring followed by absolute spring, end of spring, beginning of summer etc. I am sure you can see where I am going with this. Each one is so different! 

xox Love to all!
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me